Skocz do zawartości

Ian's Models

Ian

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Hi my name is Ian, I am 61 years old and English. I have been building plastic models since I was 5 years old and have come back to the hobby after a 5 year break from it. I find that many of my modelling skills have faded and I think it will take some time and several finished models before I am back up to speed again. My skill level is no where near the superb models shown in these galleries but it is my hobby and I enjoy it as a relaxing pastime and not a competitive arena.

CI was in the RAF for 32 years and now work for the RAF as a Civil Servant in Air Traffic Control, my Father was also in the RAF during World War 2 as a Rigger in Bomber Command. When I was a small child my Dad's best friend was a Polish guy called Ted, he was a lovely guy but always appeared to be a bit sad and melancholy.  In recent months I think I may have discovered why he appeared so quiet and serious. I have become very interest in the Polish Air Force after watching the film "Hurricane" and since watching it have bought several books on 303 Sqn and the Polish Air Force in WW2. The last book I have just finished is "The Forgotten Few" by Adam Zamoyski, it has made me feel ashamed of how the British and Winston Churchill treated the Polish Air Force at the end of the war and the fact that he did not allow the Poles to take part in the Victory Parade in London in 1946 due to Churchill's deferring to Stalin, truly a shameful episode. 

In early June 2019 my wife and I are travelling to Krakow  and staying there for a week so that we can explore the beautiful city (its numerous model/hobby shops) and the Polish Air Force Museum, just outside the City.

The first model that I built after coming back to the hobby is the old Monogram Hurricane as I had it in my stash and wanted a simple kit to re-start on, or so I thought.  I wanted to complete it as a Polish Hurricane Mk. 2B of 302 Sqn all was going well with the build and my free handed airbrushed camouflage, I gloss varnished it for decalling which went okay then when I went to apply the matt varnish it went horribly wrong and "frosted" the paintwork.  So I had to start over, rub it down, repaint it and buy new Techmod decals (some of which broke up in the water!).  In the end  I ended up completing the model as a Mk. 2C of 309 Sqn.  It is far from perfect but in the end I am generally happty with the results, I have learned many lessons and I hope to improve  a lot when I complete my next project a 303 sqn Mk.1.

IMG_7887.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG

• Like 5