Skocz do zawartości

1/35 scale M-42 Duster twin 40mm Hellenic Army

Nick_Karatzides

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

1/35 scale M-42 Duster twin 40mm Hellenic Army

SPG - Self Propelled anti aircraft Gun model by Tamiya

That's an almost 20 years old scale model project of mine, built in only few hours. The model represent one of the M-42 Duster twin 40mm SPGs, used to operate with Hellenic Army colours. In fact, I found this M-42 Duster with exact s/n, stationed on Tsimandria beach at the island of Lemnos back in 1992, propably under some Army artillery movements for onshore protection versus LCVPs. Because I have no experience in AFVs or tanks, I took few pictures to avoid possible mistakes while building this model and relied exclusively on these photographs to build it. The M-42, was as dusty as it looks in scale, with the downward .50" BMG as you see, spare barrels, etc.

i1370596_image-0009.jpg

i1370597_image-0010.jpg

i1370598_image-0011.jpg

i1370599_image-0012.jpg

i1370600_image-0013.jpg

i1370601_image-0014.jpg

i1370602_image-0015.jpg

i1370603_image-0016.jpg

i1370604_image-0017.jpg

Edytowane przez Gość

It looks very nice Camouflage is fine. I like wash and dirt

Spoko model .

Nick_Karatzides może nie rozumieć po polsku

"Nice model" I think you can`t understand Polish, so I translated his words.

Firstly I would like to note that my English is poor

the model looks beautiful, congratulations to you a beautiful performance, paint and flags and registration (I do not know if anyone noticed), many parts, and other advantages of the model. I wish you many more such successful models brother.

I use google translator. Sorry for the mistakes

Not very often we can see a Greek Army models on this and in general model forums. Is it old Tamiya? kit, as i remember it can be assembled together within hours.

Going back to your model i really like all the details and camouflage is it freehand?, only think i would change is to make it more flat, it is to glossy for me and because of the reflections of the light i cannot enjoy it fully.

Cheers Adam

Nie za czesto widuje sie modele Armii Greckiej tutaj i w ogole na forach.

Jezeli dobrze pamietam to jest model Tamki ktory mozna zlozyc doslownie w pare godzin.

Wracajac do twojego modelu, bardzo podobaja mi sie detale i kamuflaz, ale zmatowilbym go bardziej bo za bardzo sie swieci i nie wszystko dobrze widac.

Is it old Tamiya kit?
Yes. As far as I remember 1991 edition

i remember it can be assembled together within hours
It took 4-5 hours to built, paint and weather this model.

i really like all the details and camouflage is it freehand?
Yes, freehand with a relic airbrush.

i would change is to make it more flat, it is to glossy for me and because of the reflections of the light i cannot enjoy it fully.
Yes, you are right. But keep in mind that was my first and possibly the last AFV scale model. After all, I always prefered aircraft & helicopters scale models - feel free to click HERE and HERE to check my other "aviation related" projects. For the above reason, I cannot claim myself as AFV modeler at all.

Hey, good to see some foreigner on our forum. I wish you would show more greek models, especially II WW vehicles. Nevertheless it's very interesting part of modern military technics, your model is great, wish you following success.

• 8 months later...
That's an almost 20 years old scale model project of mine...
…but after paint stripping in 2010 and repaint again, the result is the following. I did some modifications with styrene, but no additional PE parts used. The main modification I made was to reduce the thickness of the turrets armor, into more realistic levels (feel free to check differences between THIS and THIS picture). Adding some extra fuel canisters, tools & shovels, flashlight, hoses etc seemed right to me. Spare 40mm cannons and few more elements made of wire & plastic, adding some detail to this oldie. Off course, I could use the PE / resin upgrade kit for best results, but I didn't want to spend more time & money trying to re-birth a 20+ years old kit. The sights are 1/48 scale afterburners actually, taken from an old F-5E Tiger II kit.

i1491139_18.jpg

i1491140_19.jpg

i1491141_20.jpg

i1491142_21.jpg

i1491143_22.jpg

i1491144_23.jpg

i1491145_26.jpg

i1491146_27.jpg

i1491147_28.jpg

Edytowane przez Gość

Wow..that's a firepower....twin 40mm..i wonder if Greek army used it against Turks in 1974? or this type of vehicle was made after the Cyprus war?
M-42 Duster 2x40mm SPG - Self Propelled anti aircraft Gun is old. Production began in early 1952 at GM's Cleveland Tank Plant. These vehicles entered service in 1953 with US armed forces. Greek-Cypriot armed forces were not equipped with M-42 Dusters during the Turkish invasion in 1974. Unfortunately, due to misunderstanding, the Cypriot AA artillery 40mm Bofors canons fired against Greek Nord N-2501 Noratlas 354th Sqdrn aircrafts, carrying commandos to reinforce Greek-Cypriot brothers, thereby destroying one of them in the air and causing serious damaged to other. As result of shot down, was the tragic loss of the crew and commandos on board. Feel free to read about "Operation Nike" (Nike means Victory in Greek language), by clicking HERE.

Hello Again

That's another really original and nicely done model of yours. The detailing is great and together with eye-catching painting makes your M-42 look very attractive.

Hope to see another galleries of yours soon.

Best Wishes

Kornik

Edytowane przez Gość

Great model. I'm glad that there is someone who makes models of AA equipment, especially so rare. Wish you success in future projects.
Thanks, but AA artillery related scale models were just an exception, last for a short period and inspired from my Hellenic Army days. You see, I am mostly interested on aviation related projects. Feel free to check my previously uploaded articles on ModelWork.PL forum, where I always try to combine step-by-step building WIP presentation, with useful tips & techniques:

i1413230_1.jpgi1413243_3.jpg

Great work! I was planning to make one in German colours. But Greek scheme is so awsome! Where do you get decals for this one?
Plastimodellismo produces and sell Hellenic Army & Hellenic Air Force water transfer decals for the last 20 years. If you are planning to build a Greek M-42 some day, I send you some pictures taken at the Hellenic Army museum. Keep in mind that there are two different M-42s at the following pictures, with two different camouflage patterns. Off course there is an official printed TM (Technical Manual) which defines exact FS colours and camouflage pattern, but some times the paint shop military personnel express their art feelings. Additionally, the side turret markings are missing on these museum samples, but the active duty M-42s, did have Hellenic Army side markings, as presented on my scale model. I also send the camouflage pattern used by Hellenic Army.

i1370719_m-42-duster-01.jpg

i1370720_m-42-duster-02.jpg

i1370721_m-42-duster-03.jpg

i1370722_m-42-duster-04.jpg

i1493578_image-0005.jpg

i1493579_image-0006.jpg

Wow..that's a firepower....twin 40mm..i wonder if Greek army used it against Turks in 1974? or this type of vehicle was made after the Cyprus war?
M-42 Duster 2x40mm SPG - Self Propelled anti aircraft Gun is old. Production began in early 1952 at GM's Cleveland Tank Plant. These vehicles entered service in 1953 with US armed forces. Greek-Cypriot armed forces were not equipped with M-42 Dusters during the Turkish invasion in 1974. Unfortunately, due to misunderstanding, the Cypriot AA artillery 40mm Bofors canons fired against Greek Nord N-2501 Noratlas 354th Sqdrn aircrafts, carrying commandos to reinforce Greek-Cypriot brothers, thereby destroying one of them in the air and causing serious damaged to other. As result of shot down, was the tragic loss of the crew and commandos on board. Feel free to read about "Operation Nike" (Nike means Victory in Greek language), by clicking HERE.

Thank You Nick,

I read all the info from the link... Quite heroic action...one of the history pieces that hasn't been showed to the world...

Re: 40mm Bofors

2 years ego traveling from Iraklio to Agios Nikolaos in small village i discover...a standing alone..40mm Bofors AA canon!

I believe this one was used in defense Crete against German invasion. There is year on the Bofors 1942 I make a photos of it...i don't remember the name of the Village...All I remember it was hot hot day and cold beer tasted ... extremely good ;)

40mm.jpg